The Institute of Applied Language Studies offers TOEIC® Listening and Reading English language tests created by the Educational Testing Service international organization.
What is TOEIC®?
TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication) is the world's leading test of English language used in the international working environment. The exam was created in the USA in 1979 with the purpose of testing knowledge of English focused on work-related contexts; candidates will demonstrate their language competence in areas such as commerce and trade, human resources, finance, research and development, traveling, office and administration, etc.
The TOEIC test is intended for candidates who use English in their profession, plan to participate in a training course conducted in English, or simply just prepare to enter the labour market. Candidates may be students or the general public; after passing the exam, they will obtain a certificate that is recognized internationally.
TOEIC has two independent parts (i.e. you can take them separately): TOEIC Listening & Reading and TOEIC Speaking & Writing. Currently, the Listening & Reading module is in high demand, which is why the Institute of Applied Language Studies offers this module.
International recognition of the TOEIC® exams
Today, more than 10,000 companies, as well as government and academic institutions worldwide consider TOEIC® tests to be evidence of mastering a foreign language on the communicative level; this inclides multinational companies where English is a standard essential prerequisite. Every year, more than 6 million candidates from different age groups and disciplines take the test, and obtain the international certificate that verifies and confirms their knowledge.
Who can benefit from a TOEIC® certificate?
- Students and working people: by quoting achieved TOEIC® scores in their curricula vitae/resumés, they formally emphasize their competencies and distinguish themselves in the labour market.
- Academic institutions: university administrators may recognize the TOEIC® test as an equivalent of an exam or credit, or consider obtaining the TOEIC® certificate as a condition for university graduation and awarding a diploma.
- Language schools: theTOEIC® test helps in sorting students of language courses into groups with the same skill levels in an unbiased and objective manner; the students can demonstrate their progress and this assures them that they have properly chosen their instruction site.
- Firms and corporations: use the TOEIC® tests in recruitment and selection of employees; on the basis of the TOEIC® results, they make decisions relating to management of training (language audit); they unify the evaluation system in all their branches worldwide.
- The test objectively evaluates the level of English language as it is used in an international working environment.
- Testing dates and times are flexible.
- It provides rapid test evaluation – test results are available within ten working days.
- Candidates do not have to attend a special preparatory course.
- Candidates do not have to demonstrate the level of their language skills before taking the test.
- Candidates receive the number of points that correspond with the level of their language competence, i.e. no one fails the exam.
- Employers may specify a certain number of points required for specific positions.
- The test is reasonably priced and thus widely affordable.